What did Winston think when Julia gave him a note and said I Love You? Did he really want to get in touch with her and talk to her? Or did he want to avoid and ignore her after he felt like smashing her head with the paperweight that he had purchased? "It was a physical problem that had to be solved: how to get in touch with the girl and arrange a meeting. He did not consider and longer the possibility that she might be laying some kind of trap for him. He knew that it was not so,because of her unmistakable agitation when she handed him the note," (Orwell91). Once Winston came out the shop, he automatically assumed that she was a spy, but now he believes that she is not because he feels that sympathy towards her. Would he might like her? This passage that I quoted answers these questions. He did want to get a hold of her with out any one finding out because they might suspect something. He wanted to know what was "I Love You" all about. Winston then knew that she wasn't laying a trap on him because he felt agitation when she slide the note through his sleeve. I believe that Winston now, has some sort of interest in this dark-haired girl.
Good passage you picked out. I think he is interested in her too. Good job.
ReplyDelete